Veterans Services Office

: The Polk County Veterans Service Office assists each Veteran in applying for VA Benefits (compensation, pension, and other entitlements) to which they may be entitled. The Service Officer and staff are advocates for Polk County Veterans and dependent claims. Making a difference in Veterans' lives is our most important focus.

Polk County Veteran Service Office
182 SW Academy St. Suite 220
Dallas, OR 97338

NorthWest Senior Disability Services

3410 Cherry Avenue NE, Salem
Information and Assistance: 503-304-3420 or 1-866-206-4799

Senior Services can help you to maintain your independence by providing these services to you:
  1. Meals delivered to your home if you are not able to prepare you own.
  2. In home services which includes housekeeping, laundry and personal care.
  3. Transportation to medical appointments and shopping.
  4. Even help with dressing, bathing, and other personal care assistance.

If you need a greater level of health care, Senior Services can help arrange resources to provide nursing care, physical therapy, occupation therapy and speech therapy - right in your own home. Additionally, they will check to see if you home health costs may be covered by Oregon Project Independence, Medicare, Medicaid, or private insurance.

Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) of Oregon

The ADRC is a free service that offers the public a single source for information and assistance on issues affecting older people and people with disabilities regardless of their income.   Some of the services they provide are:
1. Choosing a care facility: adult foster care, residential care, assisted living and nursing homes 
2.  Family and care give support
3.  Peer counseling
  4.  Transportation
5.  Medicare counseling 
        6.  Legal service 
    ... and other services you may need.
For more information contact your local ARDR serving Marion, Polk and Yamhill counties:
TTY: 1-888-370-4307

Foster Grandparent Program

This is part of a nation-wide service opportunity for people 60 years of age or over, with limited incomes, who love to give, which benefits children with special needs who thrive on that love. Foster Grandparents make a commitment to volunteer up to 20 hours a week. In return, they receive a modest non-taxable stipend, an annual physical examination, a meal each day, and reimbursement for transportation.


Administered by the Oregon Department of Human Services. The program serves children with a variety of special needs in public schools, day-care programs and Teen Parent Programs in Marion, Polk, Yamhill, and Lincoln Countries.

For more information: 503.373.0304

Alzheimer's Association

The Alzheimers Association sponsors a support group the first Monday of each month at 11 a.m. at the Senior Center.  The facilitator is Jillian Smith and can be reached at 503-302-7379.

Memory screening is available on a quarterly basis at the Senior Center.

If you would like more information you can contact the Alzheimer Association 1.800.733.0402 or visit them on the web at

Meals - on - Wheels

Monmouth Meal Site 
Monmouth Senior Center
188 Warren Stree S.

The Senior Meals Program is for all seniors 60 years of age or older. This program is funded in part through the Federal Older Americans Act. Public support and senior donations pay the rest. The suggested donation is $3.00 per meal. A reservation is needed at least two days in advance for each hot meal. This gives time to provide you with your entree choice.

Volunteers are needed to help deliver or get meals ready for distribution. Contact Nancy at 503.838.2084 if you would like to help.

Family Caregiver Support Program

Services for non-paid caregivers who are either caring for someone age 60 or older; or age 60 or over and are primary caregivers for children age 18 or younger, who live with the child and who have a legal relationship. The child's parents must be unable to or choose not to be the primary caregivers. Services include caregiver trainings, support groups, and individual counseling, access to respite services, assistance finding services, community outreach/information services and supplemental services.

For more information call 503-304-3420 or 1-866-206-4799. 

Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance (SHIBA)

Contact Mid-Willamette Valley Senior Services Agency for more information or to make an appointment

Dallas 503.831.0581
Salem 503.304.3479

Medicare and other health insurance programs can be confusing. Having someone explain what a program covers, the costs to you, and what your options are can be a big help.


A trained volunteer counselor can help you:

  1. understand what is covered under Medicare Parts A and B.

  2. help you compare Medigap insurance policies and explain the basic coverage offered under each of the standardized plans and provide a list of companies licensed to sell Medigap insurance in Oregon.

  3. help you decide whether private long-term care insurance is right for you, and help you evaluate the policies offered within this state.

  4. help you organize Medicare and supplemental claims.

  5. inform you about the rights and protections that you have under Medicare.

  6. Send you a range of information and materials concerning Medicare, supplemental insurance, and long-term health insurance issues.

  7. Assist you in understanding Medicare's appeals process and help you file appeals for decisions with which you disagree.

  8. Refer you to federal, state, and county offices whose programs can save you money in paying for health care.

Senior Care and Assisted Living Guide

You can access a data base of information regarding different senior home care and community living options on the website:


Need a ride to Valley Community Hospital appointments? The van will pick you up from home, clinic or hospital for scheduled health care appointments. Contact 503.831.3474 to schedule a ride or for more information. Please call 48 to 24 hours in advance.

Hours of Service:   Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm

United Parkinson Foundation